Monday, September 24, 2012

Penguin & Button Balloons

So i've seen a whole bunch of stuff on Pinterest and other sites using buttons for cards and decorations. I was at Walmart...the best place on earth and found some little packages of buttons for under $2, of course I had to pick some up. My nephew is turning three this week and he LOVES penguins so I wanted to create a card for him with a cute penguin.

I created a template on some cardboard and cut it out. (you can see this below and use it for yourself) I made it look like he was standing on some ice by first looking at some coloring book pages of penguins which were standing on ice and copying the technique they used.

I first made about 3 different layers for the ice, the bottom most layer being the largest. I then created a very oval shape on the top of each layer to give it the look that it has a flat surface. I used a sharpie to give some defined lines and erased my pencil markings. I shaded the underneath portion of the sharpie lines to make it look like ice and not white paper. When I cut it out I made sure my cuts weren't perfectly straight to give it a texture. I cut out a darker blue piece to place behind my ice as water.

I used some foam board to make my penguin stand out a little and glued the yarn to his hand which led to my balloons with the buttons on them. My finishing touch was cutting out some penguin foot prints in white paper and pasting it on the inside of the card.



Template coming soon




No comments:

Post a Comment